3D MammogramsThe Woman’s Clinic is proud to be the first private OB/GYN office in the Jackson metro area to offer 3D mammograms to our patients. We also provide 3D mammograms in our Madison office. We provide the latest in screening technology to partner with you against breast cancer.
How Is 3D Different?While a traditional 2D mammogram provides a flat image of the breast, 3D technology sweeps in an arc over the breast, building images from multiple angles. When viewed in sequence, these images allow doctors to see masses and distortions associated with cancers significantly more clearly than conventional 2D mammography. Instead of viewing all of the complexities of your breast tissue in a 2D flat image, fine details are more visible and no longer hidden by the tissue above or below. In the past, a less than clear image would trigger more follow-up tests and the anxiety of waiting for results. Now, with new 3D technology, further testing can usually be avoided.
Benefits of 3D MammographyThe proven advantages of using Breast Tomosynthesis (the technical name for 3D mammography) include:
- Increased detection: Multiple views, or slices, seen by the radiologist make abnormalities and tumors easier to see. More cancers are found, and found earlier, than with traditional mammography. In a three-year study of patients who received yearly 3D mammograms, researchers found that over time fewer women were recalled because of findings. With accurate diagnosis and earlier detection, fewer malignancies went undetected in the test group.
- Better results for women with dense breast tissue: Younger women and older women with certain conditions have very dense breast tissue. This dense tissue made finding tumors more difficult on 2D images. The varied angles taken in 3D images allow the radiologist to successfully see layers that might normally be hidden beneath dense breast tissue.
- Safety: While radiation exposure is marginally more than traditional mammography, the FDA determined that it falls within the safe limits currently set for the procedure. This safety margin is increased as 3D mammograms eliminate follow-up testing. Considering that breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in women, it was determined that any minimal risk was outweighed by the benefits.
- Peace of mind: 3D mammography reduces the number of anxiety-producing false positives, ensuring that you receive the most accurate findings as early as possible.
Insurance CoverageMost major insurances cover the cost of 3D mammograms, including Medicare and Medicaid. There are a few exceptions, so be sure to contact your insurance company to confirm coverage. If your insurance doesn’t currently cover the procedure:
- Please put pressure on your company to join the rest of the industry to pay for this test. It actually saves money for insurance companies by reducing the number of follow-up tests and identifying breast cancers at an earlier stage.
- Because we recognize the significant benefits of 3D mammography, The Woman’s Clinic wants to ensure that all our patients have access to this test. For that reason, we offer non-covered patients the test at a substantially reduced charge. Ask a staff member for more information.
- If your insurance doesn’t cover the test and you don’t want or are unable to cover the difference out of pocket, our 2D mammograms are still available and an important way to guard your breast health.