There are several screenings that the Society for Women’s Health Research recommend for every woman. The list includes the Pap Test and Mammogram, both are part of your annual exam at The Woman’s Clinic. In addition they also recommend:
1. Blood pressure and cholesterol screening for heart disease prevention – also part of our Wellness Visit.
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death among women in the U.S.
- A woman should get her first cholesterol test at age 20 and get retested every five years, or more often if your cholesterol is over 200.
2. Colonoscopy to prevent and detect colon cancer
- Colon cancer is the third most common cancer in women.
- Women should have a colonoscopy at least once every 10 years beginning at age 50.
3. Annual skin examination by a dermatologist to prevent and detect skin cancer
- Melanoma is the most common cancer among women ages 25-29.
- It affects women primarily on back of calves, top of the thighs, abdomen and chest.